Zero Waste means 100% of all REN Clean Skincare packaging is now recycled, recyclable or reusable.
In 2018, REN responded to the rising environmental crisis with an ambitious pledge to only produce packaging designed to be recyclable, contain recycled materials or that can be reused. Speed was important, and so the deadline of 2021 was set in an attempt to reduce packaging waste of which 70% ends in landfill. As of December 2021 REN succeeded in its ambitious mission.
What REN has achieved so far on its sustainability journey:
- Recycled 45 tons of plastic by repurposing plastic waste from landfill giving it a second life
- Saved 16 tonnes of plastic from entering landfill by designing packaging to global recycling guidelines, supporting the circular economy to keep waste out of landfill
- Tackled the current waste issue by partnering with global activists The Surfrider Foundation to clean up beaches & oceans worldwide where throughout 2021 over 910 pounds of trash was collected. REN also supported individuals like environmental campaigner and Planet Patrol founder Lizzie Carr who recorded over 9,000 pieces of trash collected through paddle boarding events with REN
- Used certified recycled plastic from Infinity Recycling technology & repurposed approx 3 tons of plastic waste in 2021 with just one product Brightening Dark Circle Eye Cream
- From 2018, REN stopped single-use sachets saving 4.4M from entering landfill or incineration and in 2021 pioneered a world first 100% aluminium sample tube saving a potential 900KG of plastic and shared this technology with competitor brands
- Became the first beauty partner for LOOP – the refillable doorstep solution for household and personal care products
- Led the #WeAreAllies, campaign defying industry convention by forming an alliance with four REN competitors Biossance, Caudalie, Herbivore and YOUTH TO THE PEOPLE to tackle the environmental crisis from beauty packaging waste. REN last week was honoured by WWD The 2021 Beauty Inc Awardswith Sustainability initiative of the Year
The journey to Zero Waste continues into 2022 and beyond with the appointment of CEO Michelle Brett who will be taking clean to planet to the next level. This will include a renewed commitment to packaging alternatives and refillable and reusable solutions, phase two of We Are Allies with new brands and pledges, mindfully sourcing more sustainable ingredients as well as looking at DTC shipping and ecommerce offering to reduce waste through reusable packaging.
ABOUT REN CLEAN SKINCARE
Since 2000, REN Clean Skincare has created face and body care that respects your skin – and our planet. Real results aren’t defined by age, gender, skin type or tone. Skincare should work for everyone, including our planet. Choosing clean bioactives that work in balance with your skin to deliver proven results, formulated to limit irritation.
Our products are packaged in ever-evolving more sustainable solutions, with our Zero Waste pledge to only use packaging designed to be recyclable, containing recycled materials or being reusable. Aligned with REN’s unique ‘Clean to Skin. Clean to Planet.’ Ethos.